DPT stands for "Doctor of Physical Therapy". It is another important degree after MBBS in the healthcare sector. After MBBS and BDS, It is also a study of medical science dealing and caring of patients”. It is one of the growing field and profession globally and in Pakistan with bright career after DPT in Pakistan. A DPT graduate in Pakistan is likely to be called a Doctor of Physical Therapy or Doctor of Physiotherapy.
DPT Degree Goals
The goals of the DPT degree is to prepare Doctor of Physiotherapy who will:
- Be main providers of physical therapy care and services.
- Recognize researchable issues, sponsor and participate in research, and integrate research findings into clinical practice.
- Compare theory with practice and think productively.
- Identify researchable problems, advocate and participate in research, and incorporate research findings into clinical practice
- Understand and place in context the social, economic and cultural issues of practice and effectively advocate for changes in policy.
DPT Course Objectives
A graduate of Doctor of Physical Therapy degree will:
- Show deep knowledge of basic sciences and clinical sciences applicable to physical therapy.
- Understand and relate academic basics of knowledge to the practice of physical therapy.
- Demonstrate the performances of the leading clinician by developing and using the process of serious rational and analysis.
- Demonstrate leadership,management and communication skills to effectively participate in physical therapy practice and health care team.
- Demonstrate in depth knowledge of the basic and clinical sciences relevant to physical therapy, both in their fundamental context and in their application to the discipline of physical therapy.
Importance of Doctor of Physiotherapy (DPT) in Pakistan
The program educates practitioners or therapists to meet the challenges of an active healthcare environment and supports intellectual activities that makes bridge between science and clinical practice. It efforts on treating a range of situations including but not limited to Neurological, Musculoskeletal, Pediatrics, Geriatrics, Cardio-Respiratory, Mental Health, Sports, Balance disorders etc which shows DPT scope in Pakistan.
DPT Frequently Asked Questions / DPT FAQs
Q: What is DPT full form?
Ans: DPT full form is Doctor of Physical Therapy.
Q: Who should study DPT?
Ans: Students whose have passed out degree in FSc/A-level/equivalent major with Biology, Physics and Chemistry subjects and are also interested in life sciences, believe in diversity of profession, wish a professional career that is more than a job and also desire to make a healthy change in people’s life should adopt this profession. There is huge scope of DPT in Pakistan and abroad.
Q: What is minimum eligibility criteria for DPT?
Ans: Minimum eligibility criteria in Pakistan for DPT in various institutes is FSc pre medical or equivalent marks with 60% according to DPT Institutional Admission Policy of respective institutes.
Q: Is DPT recognized by PMC in Pakistan?
Ans: No, as PMC is only autonomous body for MBBS & BDS Degree Programs.
Q: Do DPT graduates deals patients?
Ans: Yes, because physiotherapists are basically Rehabilitation Professionals whose working is also directly with patients ensuring their recovery after surgery, injury, fracture or other acquired disabilities.
Q: Are DPT graduates called doctor?
Ans: As per the National Curriculum Revision Committee (NCRC) for DPT by Higher Education Commission (HEC), they are likely to be called as “Doctor of Physical Therapy”. They will use complete title and they cannot call themselves as Doctor alone.
Q: Can a doctor of physical therapy practice In Pakistan privately?
Ans: Yes, a Doctor of Physical Therapy can practice independently.
Q: Is house job mandatory for DPT in Pakistan?
Ans: Yes, House Job is also compulsory after the completion of 5 years degree because they directly deal patients in their defined domain.
Q: What is the scope of DPT in Pakistan?
Ans: They have a bright future in Pakistan. In short, the aim of Physiotherapy to change and improve the movement, physical independence and quality of life.
Q: What is the average fee of DPT in Pakistan?
Ans: Private institution average fee is Rs.150,000/year and government institutions average fee is Rs.60,000/year.
Q: Is MDCAT necessary for DPT?
Ans: No, it is not necessary.