"The ability, coming from one's knowledge, practice, aptitude, etc., to do something well".
Everyone needs to check him or herself and get to know what kind of skills do you have and how to improve them. Changing your career has always been an option for any person who wants to do something different with his life. But now a day, in an economy that has been impacted the millions of people, some are finding they need to change careers, even if they don’t want to.
It does not matter why you are looking for another career opportunity, it depends because it can be you want or may be need. But you need to take a good look, hard look at your transferable skills and highlight all those skills which can help land any job in the new field. It is not that hard as it sounds. Here is some simple steps which can be used to match the skills you have with the ones an employer wants.
1. Take a sheet or paper and make a list of all the skills you have before starting any job, then after the job what new skills you have developed. Now see how much you have improved your skills.
2. Pick all the hard skills from the list you have prepared, pick only those hard skills which you have developed during your current and previous job. Suppose that you are accountant, proficiency in accounts receivable and accounts payable software which you used for writing down the transactions is a hard skill. If you have worked in Construction Company, so operating a crane or getting to know about all its functions would be a hard skill.
3. Now pick all the soft skills from the list, mostly personal traits and abilities, that can apply to just about any job or work environment. Example of these skills is as follows:
- Communication: How well do you communicate verbally and in writing? Your writing skills are good or not?
- Organizational Skills: How you manage your time? Do you work efficiently or you a lazy person?
- Project management: Can you manage your time and deliver all the projects on deadline?
- Problem Solving: Can you able to solve simple problems of company or can you guide them to solve any issue of the company?
- Computer skills: Do you have basic skills of computer?or you have more than basic skills like you know about different software's which make your work easy, these kind of skills give you a plus point in any job.
- Foreign Language skills: Many companies prefer those employees who know about different foreign languages. If you know about different foreign language this could be your plus point and any company will consider you a asset.
4. Always look for those job post in which you are interested, then determine which of the hard and soft skills of your fit with the job and apply in that job.
5. Prepare a resume and cover letter that highlight the hard and soft skills of your list, and how well they will transfer and bring value to your desired job. The most important point is that you need to leave all the hard skills that aren’t fit to the new field.
In the end, you need to remember that it’s not necessary that you will be called for an interview. But smart employers recognize that an enthusiastic, likable candidate with transferable experience and a willingness to learn can be better choice than someone who has right experience but no skills which are required for the job. someone with the right experience but the wrong personality.
University Of Management And Technology Umt Lahore
Punjab University PU Lahore
Punjab University College Of Information Technology Lahore
Allama Iqbal Open University Aiou Islamabad