Translation is an art that harmonizes the tone of original language with the translating language. Many great writers were translators too an .In university, translation is now regarded as a major subject, completely detached from foreign-language studies. Translation is the strategic approach to international understanding. So in this internet –based world, with globally accessible communication and information facilities we need skilled translators to bridge the cultural gaps.
If you are going to attend your high school, Cambridge or intermediate exams, you have to translate some passages from your native language to English or vice versa .This should not be taken just as a test question, in fact you can gain expert skills in translating languages and can progress in your life successfully.
How Translation skills can benefit:
Students who are willing to study abroad can benefit from translation skills as they can learn the foreign language quickly and it will help to pass their initial foreign language exams such as GRE,IELTS.
To cope the demands of this techno-oriented lifestyle it’s good if you have some translation skills because travelling has become accessible and common for many purposes and the cultural diversities could be easily comprehended if you have some idea about the foreign languages.
Translation is not just a practice; it is one of the various branches of learning that can be applied in various professional fields like teaching, business, travel etc.
Effective translation strategies:
- To become a good translator a student must possess some basic "Writing" skills. This will make him able to write smoothly and correctly in both source and translated languages.
- If a Student is familiar with different styles of writing and techniques with some knowledge of the principles of editing and punctuation in both languages, he would be able to produce a quality readable piece of the translation.
- Translation interns should have a skill to listen and catch the word quickly. I.e. they should be smart enough to promptly recognize vocabulary, expressions, idioms, and their application, and should keep them in their minds to apply when required. Intuition also helps you to translate or interpret languages.
- To be good translator the student should be familiar with the cultural and social settings of the foreign language speakers. This socio-cultural awareness, can improve the quality of the translated material.
- While translating a block of text students need dictionaries .Using dictionaries is an art itself. Words do not always mean the same they have different contextual meanings and if you are equipped with the skill of dealing with a multi lingual dictionary, you can translate very easily.
- A good translator can easily play with direct and indirect speech and can comprehend the passive voice of the targeted language.
- If you want to be a good translator translators initially choose one specific kind of texts such as literature, thesis or general articles. You can start with a particular author to get practiced in a set style.
Scope of Translators:
Translators can also get good jobs through their skills you can get hired in:
- Travel industry
- Hotel management
- Consulates and embassies
- Consulting firms
- Writing professions
- International N.G.Os
- Interpreter service companies
- Freelance translators
Online Translation Services:
To facilitate the web users, online websites and popular browsers have developed their translation services .It seems that such a trend have limited the scope of translator jobs but this is not the fact as these digital translators can translate the textual meaning of exact word but can’t comprehend the contextual vocabulary which a human mind can interpret and infer in the speaker’s message.
Another fact is that these online websites also need good translators to render online services, so if you are a good translator you can join an online site to deliver your skills perfectly.
THE TRANSLATION SKILLS A PROFESSIONAL TRANSLATOR NEEDS