Software that sends information about your Web surfing habits to its Web site. Often quickly installed in your computer in combination with a free download you selected from the Web, spyware transmits information in the background as you move around the Web. Also known as "parasite software," "scumware," "junkware" and "thiefware," spyware is occasionally installed just by visiting a Web site.
Spyware is a type of malware (malicious software) which is installed on computers and its work is to collect information about users without their knowledge. The presence of spyware is typically hidden from the user and can be difficult to detect. While the term spyware suggests software that monitors a user's working, the functions of spyware can extend beyond simple monitoring. Spyware can collect almost any type of data, including personal information like Internet surfing habits, user logins, and bank or credit account information.
The best rated spywares are:
- Webroot® Spy Sweeper®: Most comprehensive antispyware solution available – 360 degrees of protection. Continuous monitoring stops spyware before it can attack, advanced detection and removal capabilities for stubborn spyware. Automatic defence updates keep you protected from the latest threats. (FREE customer support).
- Counter Spy: CounterSpy is a powerful spyware and malware remover but treads lightly on system resources. Now, you don’t have to choose between PC security and PC performance. With CounterSpy you get: Advanced Anti-Malware technology, Kernel-level 24/7 Active Protection, Boot Time Scans kill rootkits, Small memory footprint, Runs great on Windows 7, Vista and XP.
- STOPzilla 5.X: Detects, blocks, and quarantines Spyware and Adware in true real time. Four configurable types of on-demand and automatic Spyware scanning. Can be set to update automatically or on demand for optimal protection. Advanced Pop-up protection blocks ads that slow down your surfing. Kills browser hijackers, removes rootkits, prevents botnet attacks. Blocks Phishing attacks, protects from malicious Web sites.
- Spyware Doctor: Advanced rootkit detection technology identifies and removes hidden threats from your PC. Memory Scanner helps eradicate threats lurking on your PC. Download Guard checks your downloads against a cloud-based network, Uses a combination of reactive blacklists and proactive content analysis. Site Guard blocks you from visiting potentially unsafe or phishing websites and from downloading threats through your browser, IM or email. Cookie Guard automatically removes potentially malicious tracking and advertising cookies. Browser Guard stops automatic downloads; fake AV and malicious files from compromised or exploit websites.
- Ad-Aware Pro 9: Complete Malware Protection, including Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware. Ad-Watch Live! Expert Real-time Protection. Genotype Detection Technology. Behavior-Based Heuristics Detection. Expert Level Rootkit Removal System. The Neutralizer Malware Removal Tool. Do Not Disturb Mode. Download Guard for Internet Explorer. Toolbox Including Process Watch, Auto Start Manager, Hosts File Editor, and ThreatWork. Network Drive Scanning. Automatic Pulse Updates & Free Technical Support.
- Malware bytes Anti Malware 1.46: Support for Windows 2000, XP, Vista, and 7 (32-bit and 64-bit).Light speed quick scanning. Ability to perform full scans for all drives. Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware protection module. (Requires registration). Database updates released daily. Quarantine to hold threats and restore them at your convenience. Ignore list for both the scanner and Protection Module. Settings to enhance your Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware performance. A small list of extra utilities to help remove malware manually. Multi-lingual support. Works together with other anti-malware utilities. Command line support for quick scanning. Context menu integration to scan files on demand.
- SUPER Anti Spyware Professional 4.43: Quick, Complete and Custom Scanning of Hard Drives, Removable Drives, Memory, Registry, Individual Folders and More! Includes Trusting Items and excluding Folders for complete customization of scanning. Detect and Remove Spyware, Adware, Malware, Trojans, Dialers, Worms, KeyLoggers, Hijackers, Parasites, Rootkits and many other types of threats. Light on System Resources and won’t slow down your computer like many other anti-spyware products. Won’t conflict with your existing anti-spyware or anti-virus solution. Repair broken Internet Connections, Desktops, Registry Editing and more with our unique Repair System. Real-Time Blocking of threats! Prevent potentially harmful software from installing or re-installing. Multi-Dimensional Scanning detects existing threats as well as threats of the future by analyzing threat characteristics in addition to code patterns. First Chance Prevention examines over 50 critical points of your system each time your system starts up and shuts down to eliminate threats before they have a chance to infect and infiltrate your system. Process Interrogation Technology allows threats to be detected no matter where they are hiding on your system. Schedule either quick; complete or Custom Scans Daily or Weekly to ensure your computer is free from harmful software. Dedicated Threat Research Team scours the web for new threats and provides daily definition updates.
- Spy Hunter: Detect, remove and block thousands of spyware, rootkits, adware, key loggers, cookies, Trojans, worms and other types malware. New! Integrated Spy Hunter Compact OS to aid in removal of rootkits and other stubborn malware parasites. New! System Guards will identify and stop any processes that attempt to secretly auto-start malware entries by exploiting the Windows registry. New! Exclusions feature allows you to exclude certain programs from being detected in future Spy Hunter scans. Interactive one-on-one customer support service called Spyware HelpDesk. New spyware definitions updates added daily to ensure complete protection from the latest malware trends. Easy to use interface with intelligent automatic protection. Custom malware fixes specific to your computer’s spyware problems. Spy Hunter’s Spyware HelpDesk creates a diagnostic report that is analyzed by our technicians, and an automated custom fix generated from the report is sent back to you via Spy Hunter.
- ZeroSpyware v3.4: Detecting Spyware Vectors. Intrusion Detection Constantly monitoring the operating system and registry for any new threats, Intrusion Detection removes spyware programs before they can lodge themselves into the user’s PC. Automated Discovery providing troubleshooting tools to test unknown applications for spyware activity, Automated Discovery detects sophisticated spyware programs that can masquerade as trusted applications in an attempt to evade detection. Vulnerability Scanning ZeroSpyware looks for these potential entry points into computer systems, and provides assistance and information on correcting these areas. Zero Spyware Detects. Detecting Spyware Traces. Zero Spyware Removes
- SpyZooka 2.5: SpyZooka Anti-Spyware will count each spyware once, ending misleading results. When you install SpyZooka Anti-Spyware it’s automatically set to give you the best protection without complicated directions. While advanced users still have all the features they want. SpyZooka Anti-Spyware has the most advanced update feature that improves its spyware fighting capabilities daily. As spyware gets more complex SpyZooka Anti-Spyware responds with new technology to stay one step ahead. Our anti-spyware software doesn’t detect programs you want on your computer and we don’t believe in giving you complicated rating systems. SpyZooka Anti-Spyware detects and removes spyware, period.