BDS stands for Bachelor of Dental Surgery. It is an undergraduate academic degree awarded for a course or program in the field of dentistry. The degree is awarded after successful completion of a five-year program of study in dentistry, which includes both classroom instruction and clinical training. Upon completion of the BDS program, graduates are eligible to practice as dentists and may also pursue further education and training in the field.
Top Courses Taught in BDS
The BDS program typically includes a combination of classroom instruction and clinical training in a variety of dental and oral health-related subjects. Some of the top courses taught in a BDS program include:
- Anatomy and Physiology: This course covers the structure and function of the human body, with a focus on the head and neck region.
- Dental Materials Science: This course covers the materials used in dentistry, including the properties, manipulation and clinical uses of dental materials.
- Oral Pathology and Microbiology: This course covers the study of diseases of the oral cavity, including the causes, symptoms, and treatment of these conditions.
- Dental Pharmacology: This course covers the use of drugs in dentistry, including the indications, contraindications, and side effects of various drugs used in dental practice.
- Dental Surgery: This course covers the surgical procedures used in dentistry, including extractions, periodontal surgery, and endodontic surgery.
- Community Dentistry: This course covers the principles of public health and dental health education, and the provision of dental care to underserved populations.
- Orthodontics and Prosthodontics: This course covers the diagnosis and treatment of malocclusion and the fabrication and placement of artificial teeth and other dental prostheses
Note that the courses may vary depending on the institution, it can be more or less.
Admission Requirements for BDS in Pakistan
The admission requirements for a BDS program in Pakistan can vary depending on the institution. However, generally, the following requirements must be met:
- Educational Qualification: To be eligible for a BDS program in Pakistan, you must have completed your higher secondary school education (12 years of education) with Physics, Chemistry, and Biology as subjects and have a minimum of 60% marks in each subject.
- Entrance Exam: Most institutions in Pakistan conduct an entrance exam for admission to their BDS program. The format of the exam can vary, but it generally includes multiple-choice questions on subjects such as biology, chemistry, and physics.
- Interview: Some institutions also conduct an interview as part of the admission process. The interview is usually conducted by a panel of dental experts and is designed to assess the applicant's motivation and interest in the field of dentistry.
- Medical Examination: Some institutions require applicants to undergo a medical examination to ensure that they are in good health and fit for the rigorous demands of the BDS program.
- English language proficiency: Some institutions may require an English language proficiency test, such as TOEFL or IELTS, if the medium of instruction in the previous degree was not in English.
- Merit: The final selection of candidates is based on merit, which is determined by the candidate's academic record and performance in the entrance exam and/or interview.
It's important to note that the requirements may vary depending on the institution and the government policies, it's always best to check with the institution or the official website for the most up-to-date information.
What is Career Scope for BDS Graduates
BDS graduates have a wide range of career options available to them, including:
- Private practice: BDS graduates can start their own dental clinic or join an existing dental practice.
- Hospitals: BDS graduates can work in public or private hospitals as dental surgeons.
- Education: BDS graduates can also pursue a career in dental education by becoming a professor or lecturer in a dental college.
- Research: BDS graduates can work as a researcher in various fields of dentistry, such as oral biology, dental materials, or public health dentistry.
- Public Health: BDS graduates can work in public health department or in the community dental health programs
- Specialization: BDS graduates can also choose to specialize in various fields of dentistry, such as orthodontics, endodontics, oral surgery, periodontics, prosthodontics, or pediatric dentistry, by doing a specialization program (MDS)
- Government Services: BDS graduates can also join government services as dental surgeon in different departments such as army, navy, and air force.
- Sales and Marketing: BDS graduates can also work in sales and marketing for dental products and equipment companies.
University Of Management And Technology Umt Lahore
Punjab University PU Lahore
Punjab University College Of Information Technology Lahore
Allama Iqbal Open University Aiou Islamabad