WHAT IS O LEVEL?
Students that have completed O-Level are considered to have completed their formal education and thus are awarded with final certification of secondary school. Cambridge O-Level is conducted by CIE (Cambridge International Examination). It is an internationally recognized qualification equivalent to Cambridge IGCSE and the UK GCSE. O- Level provides students with excellent preparations for future academic progressions.
- Cambridge O-Level, has been designed especially for the international audience in a way that cater the needs of different countries and for students whose first language may not be English.
- The curriculum also enables teaching to be placed in a localized context making it relevant where ever you teach.
- In some parts of the world including Pakistan, schools use Cambridge O-Level as an alternative (international) to the local government’s examination.
WHY CHOOSE O LEVEL?
O-Levels is the world’s most recognized international qualifications for secondary level students. It provides them with a gateway to higher education or professional studies in your home country or abroad. They can help you:
- Getting admission in university at home country or abroad
- Exempting the language tests for emigrating or studying in another country. For example, achieving a Grade C in O Level ‘English’ is often enough to satisfy the language requirements for some universities in English-speaking nations
- Finding better career opportunities and developing skills that help you lead a more successful life
- Many universities around the world require a combination of O & A Levels to meet their admission requirements.
- Some US and Canadian universities will accept students with five Cambridge O levels at grade C or above.
- Meanwhile, in UK, Cambridge O Level is accepted as equivalent to GCSE. Many UK universities look at the Cambridge O levels grades/performance, when making admission decisions.
- On the other hand, universities in many countries, including Canada and USA will admit students on the basis of their Cambridge O level performance alone.
- Also, Grade C in O level ‘English Language’ satisfies the requirement of English profiency of many universities in the UK and other English speaking countries.
Assessment for O levels, takes place on the course completion which includes written and practical assessment which allows students to demonstrate their learning, particularly when their first language is not English.
- The six grades that are benchmarked from A* to E which have clear guidelines to explain the standard of achievement. In this regard, grade A* represents the highest level of achievement and grade E reflects the minimum satisfactory performance.
- Whereas, U is commonly regarded as fail. The examination series for O levels, occur twice a year.
- Firstly in May/June and secondly, in October/ November.
- The results are accordingly issued in August for first session and in January for second session.
GCE O Levels Grades equivalent to Pakistani Marks
Schools receive CIE Results directly from UK through mail on the day of result declared. However, hard copy of results and student certificates are also sent to schools after a week through British Council.