We have a good news for all graduates of Pakistan that the applications for HEC Commonwealth scholarship 2023 are open Masters and PhD programs. This is an initiative of Commonwealth Scholarship Commission (CSC) of UK to invite capable and talented students from Pakistan and allow them to pursue their Masters and PhD degrees in top educational institutes of the UK. Financial support through this scholarship can significantly ease the burden of tuition fees and living expenses, making education in UK more affordable. Moreover, exposure to diverse cultures and international networks will enhance Pakistani student's global perspective and fosters cross-cultural understanding.
Quick Facts about HEC Commonwealth Scholarship 2023 – 2024
Various CSC approved universities of UK
Scholarship for Programs
Masters and PhD Programs
17th October 2023
No. of Scholarships Available
26 Nominations for Masters and 30 Nominations for PhD
Program will Commence
In September/ October 2024
HEC Commonwealth Scholarship Coverage
All the expenses of the Commonwealth Scholarship 2023 -2024 will be covered by CSC. Following are the benefits and coverage of the HEC Commonwealth Scholarship:
- Complete airfare will be provided from Pakistan to UK and from UK to Pakistan, at the end of the program.
- Complete tuition fee will be covered by CSC.
- Monthly stipend (living allowance) of £1,347 or £1,652 for students studying in London metropolitan area.
- If applicable, warm clothing allowance will also be provided.
- Study related travel grants will also be provided by CSC.
- If applicant shares that he or she have any disability, additional financial support and full assessment of their needs will be offered.
- If the master's applicant is divorced, widowed, or single parent, then the allowance of £576.61 per month for the first child and £143 per month for the 2nd and 3rd children under 16 will be provided.
- For PhD candidates, this allowance will be £290 per month for the first child and for the 2nd and 3rd children it will be £143 per month.
- If a PhD scholar is accompanied with their spouse but no children then spouse allowance of £290 per month will be provided for a period of nine months maximum.
HEC Commonwealth Scholarship Eligibility Criteria:
- You must be a permanent resident of Pakistan or AJ&K. Dual nationals are not eligible to apply.
- For a Master's scholarship, you need a first-class degree in a relevant postgraduate qualification (16 years of education) in the relevant field before the HEC application deadline.
- For a Ph.D. scholarship, you should have a first-class degree in a relevant postgraduate qualification (17/18 years of education) in the relevant field by the HEC application deadline.
- You must not have a Second/Third division in your last degree, and applicants with pending results cannot apply.
- All applicants must provide an HAT test score, with a minimum score of 60 out of 100. If you took the HAT test after January 01, 2022, you can upload the result to the HEC portal for consideration.
- Applications without the minimum HAT test score (60 out of 100) will not be considered. If you haven't taken the HAT test yet, you can register for it before October 11, 2022, on the ETC website.
Required Documents for Commonwealth Scholarship
- Proof of nationality (passport or ID card with clear photograph)
- Educational transcripts and documents in English language
- Recommendation Letters. References from no less than two people, in PDF format, dully signed and on institutional letterhead or an email clearly showing the sender’s name and details.
- Development Impact Statement in pdf format
- Research Plan/Research Proposal in pdf format
CSC Eligibility Requirements In Addition To HEC Criteria
- You must be available to begin your academic studies in the UK in September/ October 2024.
- If you're seeking a second UK Master's degree, you'll need to explain why you want to pursue it since the CSC typically doesn't fund second Master's degrees.
- You should demonstrate that you can't afford to study in the UK without this scholarship.
- Upload your full transcripts, including those for your current studies, along with certified translations if they are not in English, using the online application system.
- Include references from at least two individuals.
For PhD Candidates Only:
- You must not be already registered for a Ph.D. or an MPhil leading to a Ph.D. at a UK university or in your home country before September/October 2024.
- You need a supporting statement from a proposed supervisor in the UK, affiliated with one of the institutions listed on your application.
- List all your undergraduate and postgraduate qualifications.
- Mention up to 10 publications and any prizes you've received.
- Detail your employment history and explain how it's relevant to the program you plan to pursue in the UK.
- Provide names and positions of three referees who can comment on your potential to benefit from the scholarship and your ability to contribute to development afterward. At least two references must be included with the application.
- Include a Development Impact statement in four parts:
- Explain how the scholarship relates to global, national, and local development issues and the chosen CSC development theme.
- Describe how you plan to apply your new skills after the scholarship.
- Outline the expected changes in development terms, including outcomes, timeframe, and beneficiaries.
- Discuss how the impact of your work can be measured and evidenced.
Commonwealth Scholarship 2023 – 2024 Application Procedure
If you are interested in pursuing your masters or PhD degree in the UK but don’t know how to apply for the commonwealth scholarship, do not worry we are here to help. First of all note that candidates have to submit scholarship application forms to both HEC and CSC’s application portal. An applicant who fails to submit even one application form to HEC or CSC will not be eligible to for the scholarship.
HEC Application Procedure:
- Sign up at the HEC Scholarship portal.
- After signing up, complete your HEC profile and then select the “Learning Opportunities Abroad" option from the menu.
- Start filling out the Commonwealth Scholarship Application.
- Provide all the asked information and documents, and submit the application before the deadline (17th October 2023).
- Also printout the application to get it signed by the applicant.
- Do not send hard copies of application or documents to HEC.
- Also provide current active mobile number and in use email for the latest updates of your application.
- Female applicants are encouraged to apply, for females the nomination ratio will 45%
CSC Scholarship Application Process:
- Application must be submitted online, no need to send hard copies.
- To apply for the Commonwealth Master’s Scholarship,
- To fill application for the Commonwealth PhD Scholarship,
- We advise you to carefully read the instructions to fill out the application given on the designated pages.
- Provide all asked information accordingly and upload the scanned copies of required documents to the portal.
- CSC does not accept Commonwealth Scholarship applications directly, they require applicants to have a nominating agency but Pakistani students don’t have to worry about that because HEC will play the role of nominating agency for you.
- While filling out your scholarship application, you may also be asked to submit additional documents like publications and prizes, your work or employment history, reference letters and personal statement etc.
- It will be your responsibility to submit the application way before the deadline to avoid any problem.
Selection Criteria for Commonwealth Scholarship
Application will be selected depending upon the following criteria:
- Academic merit
- Quality of research proposal
- Potential impact on the development of the candidate’s come country
After the application deadline HEC will review your application and decide that your application will get nominated or not. The HEC is expected to nominate the selected candidates to CSC by December 2023. Then CSC will announce the final selected candidates for the scholarship by July 2024. Selected candidates will be informed through email.
Q1. Can Pakistani Commonwealth scholarship applicants take their spouse and children with them to UK?
A. Yes Pakistani scholars can take their spouse and children with them to UK. CSC will also provide monthly stipend for scholar’s spouse and children separately.
Q2. What is the minimum HAT score requirements for the Commonwealth scholarship 2023 -2024?
A. The minimum HAT score requirement for the Pakistani candidates is 60 out of 100.
Q3. What is the Commonwealth Scholarship coverage?
A. Commonwealth scholarship will cover airfare, tuition fee and study related travel expenses within UK. Also CSC will provide monthly stipend of £1,347 to selected candidates and £1,652 per month to candidates studying in London metropolitan area.
Q4. Can I avail Commonwealth Scholarship if I am applying for a second Master’s degree?
A. Normally, CSC would not fund second Master’s degree but if you are applying for the second Master’s degree you must provide a proper justification.
Q5. Do I need to apply at both HEC and CSC scholarship portal?
A. Yes you have to submit Commonwealth Scholarship application to both HEC and CSC scholarship portal. Lack of even one application will lead to rejection.