Government College of Technology was established in 1889, bearing the name of RAILWAY TECHNICAL SCHOOL. In 1927, it was named as Government Technical School in the year 1941, it was renamed as CRAKE TECHNICAL INSTITUTE. On 20 August 1949, it was merged with HINDO DIAMOND TECHNICAL SCHOOL. In 1953 it was declared a Government Institute and named as Government Technical Institute. In 1961, when Directorate of Technical Education, Government of Punjab took control of this college and launched three years Diploma Course here, it was named as government Polytechnic Institute. Finally, 1974, Bachelor of Technology course was started here and it became Government College of Technology.